Home » ISOHSA 2-1 Canon: Ikose Njuma strike late to take underdogs into Cup of Cameroon last four

ISOHSA 2-1 Canon: Ikose Njuma strike late to take underdogs into Cup of Cameroon last four

by Lesley Ngwa
0 comment
  • ISOHSA extended their winning run to eight games with a deserved 2-1 comeback victory against Canon Yaoundé on Sunday in Melong
  • Ikose Njuma and Ashu Brice Tabi scored their second goal of the competition to overturn the contest Paul Henry Tchikeu opened for Canon
  • ISOHSA will face Colombe of Dja in the semi-final of the competition on a date to be decided by FECAFOOT

Isle of Hope Sports Academy (ISOHSA) of Limbe are through to the semi final of the national challenge Cup, this following a 2-1 comeback victory against Canon Yaoundé at the Melong Municipal Stadium.

Ikose Njuma and captain Brice Tabi Ashu were the scorers as the ‘People’s Royal Elephants’ came from behind to secure the 2-1 win and eliminate a third previous winner of the competition in succession – making Canon join the likes of Unisport of Bafang and Stade Renard of Melong on the list of their victims.

Fresh from a 2-1 win against Stade Renard of Melong in the eighth finals, the boys of coach Joseph Mbock Maput entered their first quarter-final game in the history of the competition bubbling in confidence, while Canon were hoping to take inspiration from their hard-earned victory against Tarzan of Obala in the previous round.

Things got off to a worse possible start for Louis Ediage and co when Paul Henry Tchikeu scored the opener for the 12-time Cup winners from an inch-perfect cross.

The early strike gave Canon the initiative to enjoy a little more early domination, while Frank Ipoua and co struggled to settle into the contest.

ISOHSA grew into the contest with the efforts of captain Brice Tabi Ashu, Serge Bengono and Arrey Jefta in midfield being crucial to the recovery process while Canon continued to try to pick them on the counter though Ediage became more vigilant.

As the game went on, ISOHSA became more creative, courtesy the runs from Ghangle Rattensi and co. Just when Canon were pushing to keep their slim advantage, Arrey Jefta won a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area, and Ashu made the most of it. The skipper who returned into the team fresh after missing the previous match beat goalkeeper Karim Bello with an excellent low drive to make it 1-1.

Though both sides had chances to modify the scores before the interval, it remained 1-1, and delicately poised till they went for the recess.

Canon manifested greater attacking intentions before resumption as they replaced scorer Tchikeu with Alfred Meyong – who entered the frail with the zeal to tell the home crowd he is the same forward that inspired them to cup success in 2019.

Excellent defending from Kouo Gnongnong and Ghangle Rattensi through the guidance of experienced Tebug Kingsley and Louis Ediage ensured ISOHSA didn’t concede again.

ISOHSA endured a difficult phase of the game as Canon threw everything at them. However, the legs of Tebug Kingsley and Louis Ediage plus the efforts of Albert Tiku in tracking back ensured they underdogs stay in the contest.

Ikose Njuma tasted the capacity of Bello on goal for Canon with two headed efforts while Frank Ipoua was also made to work at the other end.

As the game headed towards the closing stages, there was a growing feeling that another ‘Njuma moment’ will soon be upon us.

In a well calculated move, coach Mbock replaced captain Tabi with the fresh legs of Junior Gondjoum Boss and Akono Davids Mendo came on for Agbor Tarkang Clinton.

The introduction of Gondjoum provided more attacking threats for ISOHSA and at the 84th minute, another ‘Njuma moment’ made the difference. The striker picked a well calculated pass way out of the penalty area and drove into the box before firing past Bello to complete the comeback.

The late goal meant ISOHSA resolved to defend deep for the best part of the last six minutes plus five minutes of additional time.

Wirikom Michael who replaced Serge Bengono and stretched the Canon defense in the closing moment of the game till when Referee Abdoul Razack had the last blast of his whistle to bring an end to the amazing contest in a historic afternoon for ISOHSA in Melong.

The 2-1 victory means ISOHSA progresses to the semi-finals of the national challenge Cup, and will face Colombe whose 12th minute penalty against Panthere helped them through to a second consecutive semi-final.

Elsewhere in the quarter-final, Center region outfit, Mintack eliminated Fortuna via a 1-0 win while Aigle of Menoua were 3-2 winners against a Mbalmayo side that had eliminated APEJES, Dynamo and Astre if Douala.

The other semi-final this week will see Aigle of Menoua in battle against Mintack of the center region.

Copyright©2024 kick442.com-Cameroon

All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written, or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from our management.

This site is not responsible for the content displayed by external sites

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

You cannot copy content of this page